When I do this, the program works & interacts, but the xterm dies upon completion of ticktock or INT. I also do not seem to be able to use the --rcfile switch as a bash option, although I can add KEY=VALUE pairs before the xterm launch.

Ideas? Please respond to me directly.

man xterm.  There *is* an option to keep the term open after executing a
program.

Yes, as another shared: -hold. Unfortunately, it doesn't return to shell prompt. The program is interactive until the program terminates, but I don't get a prompt back from the underlying shell.

--
Don Wilde  ---------> Silver Lynx <----------
 Raising the Trajectory of Human Development