Dinesh Nair wrote:

On 28/12/2004 05:08 Greg 'groggy' Lehey said the following:

On Monday, 27 December 2004 at 13:21:51 -0600, Dan Thomas wrote:

A friend gave me a laptop with a Pentium 100 and 24 megs of ram.  It
only has a floppy drive.  What version of FreeBSD do you recommend
and would you send me the link to download it.

It's possible to run FreeBSD on a machine like that (in fact, I intend to start doing so on a very similar machine today), but only as a diskless workstation. FreeBSD needs a disk *somewhere*. If this is all you have, you can't run FreeBSD on it.

but you should be able to run PicoBSD on it. ;)

I said it before and I'll say it again, FreeBSD 4.x run's fine on systems of this calibre. I have a p100 laptop with 40MB of ram running 4-STABLE and it makes a fine console only workstation.