Setting this to 3 tells the driver to try the native AGP first.  I had
trouble with this, and had to compile the agp device out of my kernel
to get it to work right.  Notice below that I set NvAGP to 1.

For some reason the sysctl var is set to 3 even though I use
Option "NvAGP" "1"
in xorg.conf. Setting it manually before starting X leaves it at 1, but that doesn't help.

Not sure that makes sense to me; maybe I'm forgetting something.

How did you compile the drivers?  My pkgtools.conf uses the following:
      'WITHOUT_LINUX=yes',
      'WITH_ACPI=yes',
This makes upgrades a little smoother.

I've tried WITH_FREEBSD_AGP and the vanilla version. I want linux support enabled, since I play neverwinter nights now and then.

That may be why NvAGP overrides to "3".  Using "NvAGP" "1", but
compiling the drivers with WITH_FREEBSD_AGP should be mutually
exclusive.  One tells the driver to use the NVidia AGP, the other
tells it to use the native FreeBSD AGP.  Like I said, you need to pick
one.  The NVidia AGP is probably the better choice.  You mention below
that it's already removed from the kernel, but that doesn't make sense
if you're getting the agp0: console output.  I'm assuming the kernel
was rebuilt since that config was commented out, but is that config
the one that was used?

Yes, I recompiled with just WITH_ACPI, and now it's 1 as default. I even cvsupped world and rebuilt, and now nvidia.ko doesn't try the agp0 stuff. I guess that's progress, but AGP still doesn't work.

Then you should definitely not be compiling the drivers with
WITH_FREEBSD_AGP.  Try recompiling without that config.  Linux support
is probably not a problem, so don't worry about that.

What would the NvAGP "3" option do, then, if it couldn't fall back on nvidia's agp implementation? I supposed it could do both if you built with WITH_FREEBSD_AGP. Oh well, it's gone now.

What do you get from the command kldstat?

Id Refs Address Size Name 1 14 0xc0400000 350800 kernel 2 2 0xc0751000 1c180 linux.ko 3 1 0xc076e000 5844 snd_ich.ko 4 2 0xc0774000 1d4fc sound.ko 5 14 0xc0792000 54974 acpi.ko 6 1 0xc23fc000 27000 pf.ko 7 1 0xc2450000 2000 blank_saver.ko 8 1 0xc301a000 479000 nvidia.ko