Srot BULL wrote:
[ ... ]
The simple answer is that the name your machine claims to be isn't registered in the DNS, which is normal for dynamic connections. You should either relay all email to the mailserver your ISP should have available, or you should configure your MTA to masquerade as a valid domain.
The former is likely to better in terms of passing spam-sensitive mailers.

Can I configure my system's sendmail to the above suggestion that you wrote? Or am I stuck to using Evolution/Thunderbird with an SMTP setting and not sendmail as my smtp server? [ ... ]

Go to /etc/mail. Edit freebsd.cf (look for SMART_HOST), point it at your ISP's mail server. Do "make stop; make install; make start".

You may have to twiddle some more, look at the Makefile there and:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/mail.html

In particular, if your ISP requires your mailer to authenticate, you will need to twiddle the things called an access map for SMTP AUTH. :-)

--
-Chuck