Eric F Crist wrote:
[ ... ]
What I need is a slightly different setup for my users. As I mentioned in an earlier email, I want to install an IMAP server. From what I've gleaned from various sources, I need to change from mbox format to maildir. Is this correct?

No, there exist IMAP servers which work just fine with the classic mbox format. Take a look at /usr/ports/mail/imap-uw in particular.

Also, I've come to the understanding that IMAP uses a totally different
internal MTA, and thus a different user database?

Many IMAP servers support external databases for holding users instead of, or in addition to, the standard Unix user accounts. Some use SASL (Cyrus), some use database access via MySQL or some such (Dovecot, Courier, others?).

Can someone point me in the right direction? I've kinda got courier-imap installed from ports, but I can't log in. First off, how can I configure courier-imap to use the system accounts? If I can get this, I can probably work through the SSL/TLS for IMAP, amongst other things.

If you're having configuration issues with Courier, drop back ten yards and punt by trying the UW IMAP server. It has zero runtime configuration options, so it basicly can't be misconfigured. (Well, compile-time options can affect things, but the port will do the right thing for FreeBSD.)

On the positive side, UW IMAP was written by Mark Crispin, who was one of the authors of the IMAP protocol. On the minus side, the security history of the UW-IMAP software and the associated MUA pine is somewhat grim-- perhaps best compared to the security woes of sendmail.

--
-Chuck