On Feb 11, 2005, at 2:34 PM, Frank Laszlo wrote:

Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC wrote:

On Feb 11, 2005, at 6:00 AM, Bart Silverstrim wrote:

Since when did FreeBSD, a project always driven by volunteers and not by commercial matters, suddenly gain a marketing department that is trying to steer FreeBSD into the business sector? Is FreeBSD starting to have marketing dictate technology instead of technology dictate marketing?

Sorry, but this does not make sense.

FreeBSD is driven by commercial matters. Many of the people that work on it are paid to work on it by their employers, who are using it commercially. FreeBSD will wither away if it does not continue to receive extensive commercial support like Linux gets.

I wouldnt say many, there are few commiters who are actually paid to work on it, most commiters/developers do it as a hobby.

many in no way means a majority. many is more than a few, where a few is a handful (3-5 or so). There are probably more than a handful who do it as more than a hobby. A lot of good people do it on their own time as well, and I salute that. But a lot of people like Yahoo and others (Apple probably) submit stuff that ends up in FreeBSD and they pay their people to do so. Lots of features, like jails as I understand it, started off by someone getting paid to implement stuff. These things then get added.

best
Chad