Luke wrote:
1) NTP is difficult to configure. I've done it, but it wasn't trivial.

It's always seemed rather straightforward to me, what in particular gave you trouble, perhaps we could help?

2) Finding an NTP server willing to accept traffic from the public isn't easy either. For me it involved a scavenger hunt through out-of-date websites and a lot of failed attempts.

time.nist.gov is public, and has it's own atomic clock. A google search for "public ntp servers" also found this: http://www.pool.ntp.org/

3) If your clock tends to run noticably fast or slow, constant NTP corrections tend to do more harm than good, at least in my experience. It got to where I couldn't even run a buildworld because NTP kept tinkering with the clock in the middle of the process.

That suggests larger problems on your system, to me, but I dunno.

Tom