Sergei Gnezdov wrote:

I like the size of the xterm window.  It is small and it uses very
easy to read font.  Unfortunately, it does not play very well with
emacs.  For these reasons I use Gnome terminal.  Gnome font is bigger,
thus it takes more space on the screen.  How do I identify which font
is used by xterm, so I can apply it for gnome terminal?

Gnome terminal uses Xft, so I'd say you'd first have to mess with fontconfig and alias your xterm core font to an appropriate Xft font.

I also would like to know why my ~/.Xdefaults configuration is not
applied in Gnome.  It worked just fine in KDE and most other
environments.