Chris wrote:
Chris Hodgins wrote:

Michael C. Shultz wrote:

On Sunday 13 March 2005 12:05 pm, Fafa Diliha Romanova wrote:

If I just do:

cvsup -g -L 2 /etc/cvsupfile && portmanager -u

Do I need portupgrade at all then?

Thanks.

Not for upgrading. portsclean (a part of portsupgrade package) is a nice feature of portupgrade, so is pkg_which and a few others so I keep portupgrade around just the same.

-Mike

How long does it take to run portmanager.  Is it a similar amount of
time as portupgrade for each run?

Chris

The time is about the same (in my experiance) AND (most importantly)
portmanager seems to handle upgrading better then portupgrade does.

IE: Thunderbird, Gnome, Firefox.

Another nifty thing is that portmanager creates a package and dumps it
in /usr/ports/mail/thunderbird (for example) and at least for me, I can
pkg_add that to my laptop since they both run 5.3

Excellent. Does it leave packages for everything or is just thunderbird that does this?