On 03/13/05 12:08:43, David Fleck wrote:
On Sun, 13 Mar 2005, Jason Henson wrote:

On 03/11/05 03:47:27, P.H.Tung wrote:
I successfully installed Realplayer10GOLD on FreeBSD released 5.3
When I run realplay from console, I got following error:
ELF binary type "0" not known.
/usr/local/lib/RealPlayer/realplay.bin: 1: Syntax error: "("
unexpected

What does it means? any advises?

Thanks!

Sounds like a compiler error?  Check man brandelf.
$ brandelf -l
known ELF types are: FreeBSD(9) Linux(3) Solaris(6) SVR4(0)

You could try to rebrand it to type 9.

as root:

brandelf -f 9 /usr/local/lib/RealPlayer/realplay.bin

But the syntax error, how would that get there? Try to make reinstall after a make distclean if branding fails.

It's a little more mysterious than that.
the Realplayer port is a Linux binary, so branding it for FreeBSD probably won't work. But here's what's odd -- I just installed linux-realplayer-10.0.2_1, and it seems to have installed OK. When I check its branding, I get:

bender# brandelf /usr/local/lib/RealPlayer/realplay.bin
File '/usr/local/lib/RealPlayer/realplay.bin' is of brand 'SVR4' (0).

so it's not branded for Linux or FreeBSD!  And yet it seems to be ok.

And the 'Syntax error' the OP is getting makes no sense at all.

My suggestion at this point - do

brandelf /usr/local/lib/RealPlayer/realplay.bin
file /usr/local/lib/RealPlayer/realplay.bin

and report the results back.

-- David Fleck [EMAIL PROTECTED]

The 0 branding is for any non-BSD (i.e. System V based) Unix, like linux too. System V based Unixes (SVR4, Solaris 2.x, SCO ODT 3.0, AIX, A/UX, DELL, ...). They will run on BSD. I used to not put the - freeBSD in my [EMAIL PROTECTED] client and I would run into this. I rebrand them and all is well. I might should download the correct ones just to be safe?

You say you installed, did you do a make install using ports? If not remove the program and use the port. If you did use the port then here is some more info.

Some programs can have `-DSVR4' added to the CFLAGS in their Makefile to generate a SVR4 bin. Maybe you should cd to /usr/ports/multimedia/ realplayer(right spot?) and do a make config, and check the makefile for such flags.