Kenneth Culver wrote:
Quoting Chuck Robey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

Boris Spirialitious wrote:

--- Boris Spirialitious <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

--- Matthew Seaman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

On Tue, Mar 15, 2005 at 08:50:22AM -0800, Boris
Spirialitious wrote:

When opteron support start for Freebsd? I have

4.9.

is supported? Or 4.11 better? I can't use 5.x.

Well, AMD64 support as a tier-1 platform only came
in with 5.x, so
you're S.O.L. if you have to use a 4.x release
version.

Will a i386 disk boot on opteron system? Can I
use same disk image for intel and amd MBs? Any
big problems?

You can generally run AMD64 machines in IA32 mode

--

but what would be
the point? All you get then is a machine that

costs

more than an
equivalent IA32 box and that probably performs
worse.

Actually due to the onboard memory controller it performs significantly better
than like-priced chips from intel.

I completely agree with you, Ken, but I had the feeling that this fellow was flamebaiting me, and I didn't want to subject everyone to that. I was right to begin with: there is some gain from having the chip, there is more gain if you have the better instruction set. If folks need to know more, like I *know* you have, you read one of the many architectural sites on the web.

Ken