> On 24 Jul 2019, at 18:57, Robert Simmons <rsimmo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I wonder if FreeBSD should drop support for 32bit? Clean out and remove all
> of it. It should make the code base easier to maintain, cleaner, and safer.

Keeping 32 and 64 bit code has an interesting side effect. It kinda forces to
keep some discipline, same as
keeping big endian and little endian code. It can be a bit of a pain in the ass
but it forces you to be more
careful.

> In this same vein, let's deprecate and remove things like telnet and ftp.

I don’t understand why. Both tools can be useful in certain situations. For
instance telnet is the
most immediate way to check wether a service is working and a bunch of
important Internet protocols
were actually designed so that they could be tested with a simple telnet.

From a different point of view, ssh can be more prone to buffer overflows due
to more complex code ;)

Borja.