On Mon, Sep 9, 2019, at 6:12 AM, Trond Endrestøl wrote:
> On Mon, 9 Sep 2019 16:06+0700, Victor Sudakov wrote:
>
> > The majority is for py-certbot, so I'll probably use it. Thank you.
>
> I have found it prudent to run certbot twice a month from cron(8),
> just to be safe.
>
> Last year, I had one case where the certificate expired a few hours
> before the next run of certbot. Had I run certbot on the 1st and on
> the 15th day of each month, then the certificates would have been
> updated ahead of their expiration.
>
> E.g.:
>
> #minute       hour    mday    month   wday    who     command
>
> 52    4       1       *       *       root    certbot renew --quiet
> --pre-hook "service apache24
> stop" --post-hook "service apache24 start"
> 52    1       15      *       *       root    certbot renew --quiet
> --pre-hook "service apache24
> stop" --post-hook "service apache24 start"

Whereas, I run acme.sh on a daily basis. My goal: renew certificates at their
earliest possibility. This gives me the maximum time to fix any issues.

I combine the above with monitoring to raise alerts if any tickets have less
than 28 days left before they expire.

Should the cert-renewal process not run on a given day, no big deal, it runs
the next day. I had considered running it less frequently, but settled on
daily.

--
  Dan Langille
  d...@langille.org