Victor Sudakov wrote on 2019/09/10 02:52:
Trond Endrestøl wrote:

#minute hour    mday    month   wday    who     command

52      4       1       *       *       root    certbot renew --quiet --pre-hook "service
apache24 stop" --post-hook "service apache24 start"
52      1       15      *       *       root    certbot renew --quiet --pre-hook "service
apache24 stop" --post-hook "service apache24 start"

Is it safe to run certbot as root?

I cannot recommend to run things like this as root. I am using acme.sh running as unprivileged user and only the deployment of the new / renewed key is run as root through sudo. I don't know certbot well, acme.sh allows to use shell scripts as hooks for actions like deployment so it was really simple to separate cert signing and deployment of new cert.

Kind regards
Miroslav Lachman