On Tue, 28 Jul 2009, Andrew Reilly wrote:

Problem solved!

Well I'm glad to hear that in any case. :)

In case anyone is interested, or has encountered a similar
problem, I believe that my problem was that somehow my
/var/db/pkg directory had a whole pile of near-duplicate entries
corresponding to port revisions.  Portmaster was checking the
installed version against the MD5 hashes in the "old" version
+CONTENTS file, and they weren't matching.

FYI, portmaster doesn't do anything with the md5 hashes in +CONTENTS, but duplicate entries will definitely cause "issues."

Doug