Hi

2009/8/6 Matthias Andree <m...@dt.e-technik.tu-dortmund.de>:

> Probably not fsck's fault, but if there is a major file system corruption,
> it can wreak havoc.

Yes, it can. But on the other hand the question is if one is capable
of dealing with a major file system corruption during a manual fsck
run. It requires in depth knowledge of the filesystem specification,
and what each question really means. The whorst case I've seen so far
was a linux ext2 FS that wiped entirely by fsck. Nearly 200GB of data
were lost and had to be restored from the last backup.
I personally like fsck -y (because I certainly don't have this
knowledge) and pray that my FS comes out intact. If it doesn't, well,
it's time to do a restore. ;-)

Christian