Johan Hendriks pisze:
Be aware that if you go from 7 to 8 you will need to rebuild all your
installed ports.
ALso if you do a buildworld from 7 to 8 do not do the make delete-old
and the make delete-old-libs before you have rebuild your ports.
If you do the make delete-old and make delete-old-libs runs, all ports
depending on the FreeBSD 7 libs will not work any more.  << read:  most
likely all your ports.
If you have changed for example your Shell for root to a ports based
shell like bash and you do the make delete-old-libs you can not log in
anymore, because bash depends on the 7 libs wich are not there anymore.

And as usual MAKE A GOOD BACKUP !!!!

Regards,
Johan

As I remember when I did upgrade from FreBSD 6.4 to 7.0, I ran 'portupgrade -afi' after thar, BUT as I remember all my ports in fact works before they were upgraded. If I understand correctly, the reason of this was not making delete-old and delete-old-libs?

So should following upgrade procedure be painless?

0. Backup!
1. cvsup 8.0-stable
2. make buildworld && make buildkernel
3. make installkernel
4. reboot and jump to single user mode
5. make installworld && mergemastger
6. take a deep breath & reboot
7. portupgrade -afi
8. make delete-old && make delete-old-libs
9. reboot
10. Hooray!

My concern is - will my ports works after point 6. ? Quite important thing when machine can't be offline by hours during portupgrade -afi ....

--
Bartosz Stec