On Wed, 30 May 2012 13:59:01 -0500, Chris Nehren <apeiron+freebsd-sta...@isuckatdomains.net> wrote:

4. Everything "feels right" and "makes sense" on a very deep level for
me, in a way that never happened with the other Unix and Unix "alike"
OSs I've used.

Bingo.

For me:

1) Integration. The OS is integrated very well all around. How many utilities on Linux are required to replace the full functionality of the BSD "ifconfig" ? 2) Ports. We have customers with very different requirements; we don't have to run different Linux distros to meet their needs in a way that is supported by the package management system. This makes the job as a sysadmin and our infrastructure very consistent. 3) Features. PF is indispensable, and ZFS is a great bonus. System utilities, too: sockstat, systat, gstat, BSD's top, etc.