On 1/1/13 12:51 PM, Derek Kulinski wrote:
Hello Alfred,

Just In Case:

FreeBSD has no plans to switch to get in either the short or long
term.  We will however offer git repositories and first-class cousins
via git.freebsd.org and github.

Are you sure?  Most of the diffs developers have been handing me lately
are of the form a/path b/path so I think they are mostly using git
behind the scenes.
One of nice things about git is that it can work with many popular SCM
schemes. So you can have a cake and eat it too. People who like git
can just check in the repo to their local disks and work on it using
git features without forcing rest of the developers to use git.
There apparently is also freebsd git repo that allows to do it, but
you can connect it straight to svn (or even cvs).
"git-svn" is somewhat problematic:

http://wiki.freebsd.org/GitWorkflow -> "Using git-svn (FreeBSD committers only)" ->

Things to keep in mind:

 *

    Never git merge branches, unless you know what you're doing.

 *

    Always git rebase your work on top of master, then git svn dcommit
    can push the top commits to svn.

 *

    Always double-check with git svn dcommit -n to see what would happen.

 *

    While you can use git add for new files just fine, you won't be
    able to push those upstream, you can however use the patch, apply
    it to some subversion checkout and do the commit there. This is a
    shortcoming of our very own Subversion hacks, but hey, it's better
    than nothing!

 *

    While git-svn now allows you to set svn:mergeinfo when committing,
    this is so fragile that the FreeBSD projects discourages its use.
    Please use svn(1) for merging, sorry.

It's very poor (at least according to the wiki). Seems like you can't do much except pull a patch from git, apply to subversion and then commit upstream. Eck...

I'm hoping this gets better.

-Alfred