Kimmo Paasiala wrote:
On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 1:17 AM, Miroslav Lachman<000.f...@quip.cz>  wrote:
The version of sshd in FreeBSD 8.4 is not backward compatible with older
version from 8.3.

OpenSSH_5.4p1 (on FreeBSD 8.3)
OpenSSH_6.1p1 (on FreeBSD 8.4)

# sshd -t
/etc/ssh/sshd_config line 19: Missing argument.

On line 19, there is:
VersionAddendum

It was OK in older versions. It will remove any default text appended to SSH
protocol banner (for example 'FreeBSD-20120901').

On FreeBSD 8.4, there must be some string (any single character)

I was really badly surprised that the machine was re-booted without ssh
access!

I think this change is worth to mention in Release Notes

Miroslav Lachman

How did you update to 8.4? This sounds more like messing up the
mergemaster(8)/freebsd-update merge procedure than a real problem with
the config file.

This is the source configuration file straight from SVN releng/8.4
branch and as you can see the VersionAddendum on line 115 is commented
out there:

http://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/releng/8.4/crypto/openssh/sshd_config?view=markup

It was upgraded by freebsd-update. It was intentionally left here as it was valid configuration for many years. That's why I think it should be mentioned in the Release Notes, that it is no longer valid configuration (empty VersionAddendum).

The fact, that it is no longer in default sshd_config file doesn't mean it can't be used at all. It is still valid in the form which was in old default config: "VersionAddendum FreeBSD-20100308", but is no longer valid if empty. That's the point.

(and empty VersionAddendum was widely used, it is not my invention)

Miroslav Lachman