Scot Hetzel wrote:
On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 4:28 AM, Lee Dilkie<l...@dilkie.com>  wrote:

On 6/19/2013 8:24 PM, Kimmo Paasiala wrote:
Ok, this is crazy. If you put one space after the VersionAddendum
keyword you get exactly what you want, an empty VersionAddendum
string. If there's no space but a newline right after the
VersionAddendum keyword, sshd(8) complains about the line and refuses
to start. So this is ok (without the single quotes, they are just to
show the endings of the lines):

'VersionAddendum'

But this is not:

'VersionAddendum'

What are the OpenSSH devs thinking?

-Kimmo

I'd call it a bug.

crypto/openssh/servconf.c

1553         case sVersionAddendum:
1554                 if (cp == NULL)
1555                         fatal("%.200s line %d: Missing
argument.", filename,
1556                             linenum);
1557                 len = strspn(cp, WHITESPACE);
1558                 if (*activep&&  options->version_addendum == NULL) {
1559                         if (strcasecmp(cp + len, "none") == 0)
1560                                 options->version_addendum = xstrdup("");
1561                         else if (strchr(cp + len, '\r') != NULL)
1562                                 fatal("%.200s line %d: Invalid argument",
1563                                     filename, linenum);
1564                         else
1565                                 options->version_addendum =
xstrdup(cp + len);
1566                 }
1567                 return 0;

Looks like if you specify:

VersionAddendum none

it won't display the additional info.

Thank you for your suggestion, "none" really works. I will use it as a workaround.

I think the issue needs to be mentioned in Release Notes and/or UPDATING anyway.

Miroslav Lachman