Freddie Cash <fjwc...@gmail.com> wrote:

> ​Huh, never even noticed (not that I use many of the grep variants).  But,
> on a 10.3 install (from binaries, not source), half the variants are
> hard-links to bsdgrep, while the other half are hard-links to grep:

Yep, that's how it was for me.

> ​Does this mean an upgrade via freebsd-update to 11.x would remove all the
> lz* and xz* hard-links from my system?​  Not that I would notice, just
> curious.

I've never used FreeBSD update, but I just checked its filelist via an IDS
check, and that
does appear to have the xz.../lz... files linked to bsdgrep.

I also just checked the FreeBSD ISO's for i386 and amd64, both dvd, and
bootonly,
and none of them have the xz.../lz... files.

Unless I'm reading the results from freebsd-update incorrectly, it appears you
will have
these linked files if you follow that upgrade route, this disparity adding to
my earlier
suspicions that this change was in error.

Cheers, Jamie