Hi Mark/Kristof,

I have been using ng_bridge for more than a year. It was very stable and it
allowed to have members with different MTU. My jails were using jng to setup
the bridge and I changed iohyve to use ng_bridge.

But I recently switched to if_bridge. I needed to have pf work on a member
interface, which wasn’t easy with ng_bridge. It was not easy to make it work
due to two members (VLAN) coming frome the same trunk.The behavior was erratic.

I have a trusted VLAN bridged to an untrusted physical and Wifi network. All
members are on the same IP segment, but with pf I can make sure that the
untrusted IOT devices are only able to go outside towards the internet. The
untrusted devices can’t create connections to the trusted devices, but the
trusted devices can create connections to the untrusted devices.

Another issue I found with pf was with "set skip on bridge”. It doesn’t work on
the interface group, unless a bridge exists prior to enabling pf. Makes sense,
but I didn’t think of it. Other rules work fine with interface groups.

My jails and bhyve now runs fine with if_bridge, which is easier to setup and I
don’t need any changes in iohyve.

Peter