On Sat, 4 Nov 2000, Bosko Milekic wrote:

>  Hi Marko,
>
> On Sat, 4 Nov 2000, Marko Cuk wrote:
>
> > Hello !!
> >
> > Can anyone explain me, why is FreeBSD known as powerful sistem with
> > industrial strenghth and rock stability, but I manage to crash it several
> > times.
> >
> > The bridge code in 4.1x is unstable in conjuction with ipfw, I had several
> > problems with Vinum and Raid5 and maschine crashed every day if I used
> > something od previously mentioned things.
>
>       I personally did notice some problems with bridging as well, and I
>   fixed one panic situation in -CURRENT about a month ago. I still have a
>   Problem-Report assigned to me and am very interested in tracking more of
>   these down, but really need help from folks running -STABLE as well, and
>   that can afford to provide some debugging information.
>       Hence, if you have a complaint about the stability of some component,
>   please realize that there is very little that developers can do about it
>   without proper evidence and data. Take a look at the handbook:

I've a perfectly good PR about vinum (panics) open. There's no even single
follow up (kern/22103).
I couldn't stand it any longer, so I'm not able to recreate it since I'm
using raid1 on those disks now. I waited for almost one month but
aparently nothing was done. (I opened one PR before that but it was badly
formatted and had to become closed).

I understand that people have other things to do, and FreeBSD is volunteer
project, but we shall face the truth - the man page for vinum should state
that RAID5 is experimental and prone to crashes. It should be emphasized
that it shouldn't be used in sensitive environmets.
I know other people for whom it rendered their servers unusable.

I managed 8( to crash it today as well. I'll probably move to hardware
raid solution instead, I'm quite fed up with vinum.

>   to find out exactly what's looked for. In short, you should at least
>   provide a backtrace following the panic/page fault/whatever it is you're
>   seeing.

I've a crash dump of today, perhaps I'll open another PR.

--Roman Shterenzon, UNIX System Administrator and Consultant
[ Xpert UNIX Systems Ltd., Herzlia, Israel. Tel: +972-9-9522361 ]