Roman Shterenzon wrote:

> I've a perfectly good PR about vinum (panics) open. There's no even single
> follow up (kern/22103).
> I couldn't stand it any longer, so I'm not able to recreate it since I'm
> using raid1 on those disks now. I waited for almost one month but
> aparently nothing was done. (I opened one PR before that but it was badly
> formatted and had to become closed).
>
> I understand that people have other things to do, and FreeBSD is volunteer
> project, but we shall face the truth - the man page for vinum should state
> that RAID5 is experimental and prone to crashes. It should be emphasized
> that it shouldn't be used in sensitive environmets.
> I know other people for whom it rendered their servers unusable.
>
> I managed 8( to crash it today as well. I'll probably move to hardware
> raid solution instead, I'm quite fed up with vinum.

Wich good hardware solution is supported under FreeBSD ?

> I've a crash dump of today, perhaps I'll open another PR.

I've had crash before one hour, and I've only doing cvsup ports .... Yesterday I
was changing speed of ipfw pipe and it crashed after a second. I cannot imagine
such things.

I can't have 20 days of uptime because of so many crashes.

Yes, I know a solution for stable FreeBSD. Leave it completly alone and don't do
anything.

It's no good. Fbsd is 4.1.

Cuk