On Sun, Jun 24, 2001 at 02:45:24AM +0200, Michael Nottebrock wrote:
<snip>
> > You make some very good points.  For you, like 99% of Linux users, you
> > are better off never attempting to cvsup or to track stable.
> > [...]
>
> I just like to say that my experience with tracking stable is quite
> positive. I installed FreeBSD 4.2-Release with the boot floppies and a
<snip>
> openssh clients like the 2.9pl1 in Linux Mandrake) doing a
> Release-2-Stable & and a Stable-2-Stable upgrade from source has been a
> breeze, thanks to the guidance of /usr/src/UPDATING and the FreeBSD
> Handbook (and the FAQ for explaining kern_securelevel and it's impact on
> file flags). All this updating from source at least never left me without
> a root filesystem when booting a new kernel (as did Linux Mandrake 7.2

I've never had a problem tracking and building stable resulting in an
unbootable or generally unusable system.  There was the one and only time I
tried making installworld in the recommended way, via single-user init
level and the system spontaneously rebooted.  But, otherwise, no problems
at all.  Even for a period of time when I was cvsuping and making the world
every day... which ended immediately after I got that month's electricity
bill.  Good god damn, I'm obscenely lucky, aren't I.  Wait a minute... I
SEE NO SUPER MODEL SEX KITTEN ON MY BED!@#$  It must be FreeBSD, not my luck.

<snip>
> kernel). IMHO, the FreeBSD stable sourcetree and also the ports & packages
> collection are in such a good shape that they don't need to fear any
> comparison with rpm or deb based Linux distributions. Hey, even Windows NT

When a port doesn't work for me, I cvsup the ports tree and it's fixed or
someone on stable has said they're fixing the problem presently and it's
fine the next day.  It's all a wonderful dream.  Better than kittens or ice
cream or puppies or rainbows.

> & 2000 boxen have been reported to break after installing a Service Pack,
> after all.

Windows service packs are on the same level as medieval alchemy.  600 years
from now, science will find a way to make windows secure and stable.

Not only that, but cloning will be perfected and posterity won't be left
with the horrible prospect of a world without Carrot Top and Rob Schneider.

<snip>

--
disclaimer: vodka.