Antoine Beaupre wrote:

> FWIW, I've had such problems with restarted sysinstalls. In fact, a
> lot of the recent uses I had of sysinstall ended up with such an error.
>
> I think it is due to sysinstall not correctly mounting the configured
> file systems. The behavior is quite erratic and i haven't been able to
> pinpoint the exact problem but restarting the install, reformating the
> partitions works usually ok.

It looks like this is exactly what was happening.

Everytime I tried to install, the DNS lookup on ftp.uk.freebsd.org would
timeout the first time round (a seperate problem), and I needed to
restart the installation each time. After going through the whole
process several times, the DNS lookup worked first time round and the
installation went without issue.

It looks like sysinstall does get confused when asked to restart an
installation.

Many thanks to all who helped out.

Andrew.