Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:

A bit of background: we know that 'gvinum' will replace Vinum; the
original intention had been to do it seamlessly, but for various
reasons that did happen.  Then we decided that we should leave them
both in the tree until gvinum had the full functionality of Vinum.
It's beginning to look like that's a bad idea.  Lukas is
(understandably) working only on gvinum, and since I know it's nearly
there, I'm not going to do any further work on Vinum in FreeBSD 5.
Given the problems, I'd suggest that we yank it.  I'm copying the
release engineering team.  Re, what do you think?

Greg

Not that I've got a lot of say in the matter, but I would vote for this too. (along with migration info in the release notes). There are also some minor changes needed to the docs on vinumvm.org for gvinum/newfs (5.3) to correct new paths and switches.

thanks
jim