I should point out, this is for replication in a running production environment. Machines cannot be taken down, and swapping hardware is not an option.

I'm currently experimenting with a copy of the MBR, and the root partition on a CD, with enough tools to attach to the network to retrieve images of the rest of the partitions (which can be taken as current snapshots from various servers).

This _should_ result in the following scenario:

Boot new machine with CD
partition drive(s)
dump MBR
dump root
ssh [EMAIL PROTECTED] 'dump -C 64 -0af - /sliceX'| (cd /usr; restore -rf -)
[repeat above for all drives, could be automated]

Seem reasonable?

-E-

Elliot Finley wrote:
----- Original Message ----- From: "Francois Tigeot" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>