Chuck Swiger wrote:

O. Hartmann wrote:
[ ... ]

One of my SATA disks, the SAMSUNG SP2004C seems to show errors during operation (and also showd under 5.4-RELEASE-p3).
Sometimes I get this error:
ad10: WARNING - READ_DMA UDMA ICRC error (retrying request) LBA=11441599
while the machine still keeps working.
Other days the box crashes completely.

Is this a operating system bug or is this message an evidence of defective hardware?

You can also run a "dd if=/dev/ad10 of=/dev/null bs=8192" to do a full read test under FreeBSD, and see how many CRC errors show up.

I did so and I ran into a crash of the system ...

I changed the cabling, did it again and until now nothing happend ... hope it was only a cabling issue. The first time I use ATA/SATA and now these experiences ... When is SCSI back for desktops?