darren david wrote:
Stephen Montgomery-Smith wrote:

Darren David wrote:

Hi all-

So I've just encountered a new issue ( for me ) with Xorg, and i'm having a heck of a time tracking down the source and/or the actual nature of the issue. When i switch to another computer using my KVM, Xorg immediately begins to monopolize the CPU, heading up to 95% utilization. When i switch back to my machine, my USB keyboard works, but by USB mouse is unfunctioning. I have to force quit Xorg and restart to restore peace to the land.

Now, this didn't exist on 5.3. I'm running FreeBSD 5.4-STABLE, and xorg-6.8.2 and gnome2-2.10.1 from ports. I get no info in the logs either. I've searched the archives on this, but it's difficult to figure out exactly /what/ to search on to match this problem. No love on the xorg list either.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Regards,
darren david

It sounds like the symptoms I had when I tried to run an nvidia card on my Tyan motherboard with the nvidia drivers. (And I waited for hours to see if it would stop.) I bet that it is something that the video card is doing, maybe it is trying probe your CRT to see what kind it is, or something like that.

(This is all pure speculation on my part, so I don't know.)

interesting! i too am running an nvidia card on my tyan mobo. i think i will try using the onboard video and see if that fixes it, i don't /need/ the nvidia card for what i'm doing. thanks for the idea, i'll be sure to follow up.

best,
darren

no luck! i yanked the nvidia card, the drivers and made sure the nvidia kernel module wasn't being loaded at startup. i'm back to running off the onboard video on the Tyan ( 8MB ATI Rage XL ) and the problem still persists ( see above ). Anyone else seeing anything similar, or might be able to point me down a different path?

thanks,
darren