Daniel O'Connor wrote:

On Thu, 5 Jan 2006 20:02, Jo Rhett wrote:
On Fri, Dec 23, 2005 at 11:26:44AM +1030, Daniel O'Connor wrote:
How do you expect these two to be handled in a binary upgrade?
I can't see how it's possible..
Look around.  Every major commercial OS does it just fine.  Most of the
open source OSes do it just fine.  Debian had probably the easiest to use
system, and they've risen, owned the world and fallen all while FreeBSD has
been debating this issue.

You appear to be misunderstanding what I said.

I'm not arguing binary upgrades shouldn't be done but I'm suggesting that it isn't NECESSARY to version and package the base install to do it.

I don't think integrating it with the core OS (whatever that means) will
magically fix this.
If you knew what it meant, you would understand why it would help.

Ah what a great explanation of what is meant.
There are several people who don't know what is meant here and I haven't seen a decent explanation forthcoming.

I think what "integrated with the core OS" means from a user standpoint is: from a fresh minimum install of freebsd I can type "freebsd-update-whatever" and it will update my system.