Karl Denninger wrote:
I wasn't aware that the USB to Serial
converters would work - I can try them, but there are a lot of those out
there that don't work right even under Windows - expecting them to under
FreeBSD might be asking too much.

A local vendor sells a generic adaptor[1] that uses the Prolific Tech PL-2303HX chip supported by uplcom(4). I use them for APC Smart-UPS and MGE Evolution (both utalk and SHUT) with NUT and the terminal end of serial console connections. The funny thing is that they work better in FreeBSD--Windows' serial device auto-detection is convinced my servers are Wacom tablets. The Windows bug is worked around by connecting the adaptor first, then connecting the adaptor to the serial device after Windows has finished its plug-and-play spasm.

1: http://store.pchcables.com/usbtorsseca.html

--
Darren Pilgrim