Quoting Peter Jeremy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

On Mon, Jan 28, 2008 at 02:41:56PM -0800, Chris H. wrote:
In case you're wondering, objformat /is/ required - at leas for
www/apache13-ssl.

objformat was created at around FreeBSD 3.0 as a temporary tool to
handle the a.out to ELF transition and has been obsolete for nearly 8
years.  Unfortunately, it's continued presence misled third-party
developers.

Yes, this is what I gathered from the man pages. Too bad the Vendors
don't read the man pages. :)

So the trick is to create the following /usr/bin/objformat:

#!/bin/sh
echo elf

Make sure to set perms to +r +x -w

The correct fix is to patch the configure script to not need objformat.

Indeed. Couldn't agree more. It's my understanding that this is a
linker issue. Is it possible that it only shows up now because the
default gcc is now 4.1?

Note that as others have suggested, Apache 1.3 is now a legacy
version.  Even if you don't move to Apache 2.2 now, I suggest your
future plans include provision for migration off Apache 1.3.  To quote
the Apache website: "We strongly recommend that users of all earlier
versions, including 1.3 family release, upgrade to to the current 2.2
version as soon as possible."

According to the Apache developers, 1.3's appeal is IJW (It Just Works).

But your point is well taken. :)

--Chris H

--
Peter Jeremy