In message: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
            Kostik Belousov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
: > :    Given recent EOL announcements, I'm trying to upgrade an ancient
machine from 5.5 to 7. It has 80 Mb total in the root partition, /home/, /var/,
/usr/, and /tmp/ on other partitions, and NFS mounts /usr/src, /usr/obj, and
/usr/ports from a slightly newer/faster box.  I've seen
: > :
: > : http://www.freebsd.org/releases/7.0R/relnotes.html   and
: > : http://marc.info/?l=freebsd-stable&m=121278826119286&w=2
: > :
: > : which seem to suggest that even with INSTALL_NODEBUG during buildkernel,
7 might not fit in an 80 Mb /.  Must I partition a new disk to give more space
to /, or can I find more space by deleting /stand/, /modules/, and possibly
/rescue/ to shoehorn a custom 7.x kernel in the available space?  TIA
: >
: > Doesn't look like anybody has answered this question...
: >
: > 80MB is plenty, even for 7.x.  However, you'll have to use nanobsd or
: > tinybsd to get that small.  You'll likely been unable to do a 'make
: > installworld' to get this size.  You'll have to create an image and
: > push it over to this machine somehow.
: >
: > In the 3.x time frame, I had FreeBSD booting with the standard scripts
: > in 13MB without compression.  4.x, 5.x and 6.x bloated these binaries
: > to about 18MB (a few more were added).  I haven't built a system based
: > on 7.x with this system due to a change in employment, but expect that
: > it wouldn't be much larger than 20MB for these same files.  Some
: > careful honing could reduce that a little, but maybe not a lot.
: > Typical embedded systems that I shipped were on the order of 24MB
: > without X11 and 32-60MB for those with an X11 server.
: >
: > What's this box used for?
:
: Actually, on the normal RELENG_7/i386 install (i.e. done by
: buildworld/installworld), I get
:
: Filesystem  1K-blocks     Used     Avail Capacity  Mounted on
: /dev/ad0s1a    257998    50422    186938    21%    /
: /dev/ad0s1e   4129310   143676   3655290     4%    /usr
:
: Note that you must supply INSTALL_NODEBUG=yes for installkernel, and
: the numbers shown are for WITHOUT_PROFILE=yes.
:
: Amd64 takes ~230Mb for merged / and /usr, this is both due to increased
: binary sizes and lib32.

Right, the numbers I quoted were for an opt-in system like tinybsd...
They are good numbers to have at hand, since it is hard to buy flash
media that's smaller than 1GB these days...

Warner