On Fri, Sep 19, 2008 at 07:38:32PM -0700, Jo Rhett wrote:
>  Without input from the current release team extending the support
> schedule is not possible.

Inquiry - is release team the constraint?

Or to put it another way, what to you is "support" in terms of
FreeBSD releases?

As far as I am aware, if you stick on a RELENG_X_Y_Z_RELEASE tag
then the most you get is security fixes.  No new features,
no new drivers, no bugfixes.  So if I am interpreting things
correctly, you are asking for security fixes to be ported to
RELEASE tagged branches for longer?

So is release team the contrained resource in your problem?
I am not denying that *any* part of the FreeBSD team is not
resource constrained, but I'm wondering if you're examining
the correct area.

Note: I am not up on the internals of modern FreeBSD
release engineering and maintenance nor the relationship
between "staff" functions, so I may be barking up the wrong
telephone pole.

Regards,

Gary