On 7/19/2019 5:02 AM, Henrik Gulbrandsen wrote:
In the last few months, I have been extending the video support in bhyve
to allow booting from live ISO images, which sometimes lack UEFI loaders.

Hi Henrick,

Wow. This looks impressive. Thanks for taking it on :)

There was already a video BIOS with dormant support for VGA, but I could
not use that, because the X11 int10 module runs a real-mode x86 emulator
that aborts when it tries to enter the C code running in protected mode.

I wonder if this could be related to your CPU not supporting unrestricted guest mode? I know it's required for some bhyve functionality.

Instead, I added support for PCI Expansion ROMs to bhyve and wrote a new
SVGA video BIOS from scratch in 8086 assembly code. The current features
include VGA modes 3 and 12h, 24-bit and 32-bit VESA modes from 640x480 to
1920x1200, and enough BIOS functions to boot a typical Linux desktop.

At this point, I think it's good enough for a preliminary release, so if
you are interested, you will find all patch files at the following URL:

    https://www.gulbra.net/freebsd-bhyve/

My apologies for the 15-year-old web layout, which will probably break
horribly on modern smartphones. Also, I hope I have not duplicated the
work of someone else. I didn't want to announce this before it worked.

Are you maintaining your changes in a public repo somewhere? If so, it would be great if you could share the location.

Thanks,

-Matthew