On 7/19/2019 10:41 AM, Henrik Gulbrandsen wrote:
On 2019-07-19 16:43, Matthew Grooms wrote:
There was already a video BIOS with dormant support for VGA, but I could not use that, because the X11 int10 module runs a real-mode x86 emulator that aborts when it tries to enter the C code running in protected mode.

I wonder if this could be related to your CPU not supporting
unrestricted guest mode? I know it's required for some bhyve
functionality.

No, the int10 module runs the BIOS code on a software CPU.
Protected mode is simply not implemented.

I see. Well, I assume the code you reference worked without aborting at some point. There is a related SOC idea project mentioned here ...

https://wiki.freebsd.org/SummerOfCodeIdeas#VGA_emulation_improvements_for_bhyve <https://wiki.freebsd.org/SummerOfCodeIdeas>

-Matthew