On Mon, 20 Jun 2016 12:02:26 +0200
Ben Woods <woods...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 19 June 2016 at 17:20, Emmanuel Vadot <m...@bidouilliste.com> wrote:
>

> >  Hello all,
> >
> >  I've sync our driver with the DragonflyBSD one.
> >  I'm currently happilly running it on three on my laptops :
> >  - HP 840 G1 (iwm 7260)
> >  - HP 840 G2 (iwm 7265)
> >  - HP 840 G3 (iwm 8000C)
> >
> >  Just so you know :
> >  1) I know nothing about wireless
> >  2) This was only done in one day
> >  3) I started the day sober, I finished it drunk
> >  4) There is still locking problem at fw load and scan (probably
> > because of 1, 2 and 3)
> >  5) I do NOT plan to commit this for 11.0
> >  6) I DO plan to commit this for 12 once code freeze is finished (and
> > when the last problems would be corrected)
> >  7) I will eventually commit this for 11.1
> >
> >  I you want to test it (especially if you have the 3160 serie) all the
> > code is in my github branch : https://github.com/evadot/freebsd/tree/iwm
> >  Just recompile the modules from sys/modules/{iwm,iwmfw}.
> >  You need the last firmware (version 16.XXX) for the driver to work.
> >
> >  The main news is that the serie 8000 is supported (found in skylake
> > laptop) and that the led works (not on the 8000 serie thought).
> >
> >  Knowing nothing about wireless I do not plan to maintain this driver
> > but I'll try keep it synced with DragonflyBSD/OpenBSD (so yeah I think
> > that this is maintening ...)
> >
> >  Please let me know (here would be better) if you have any problem (or
> > not) with this update.
> >
> >  Cheers,
> >
> > --
> > Emmanuel Vadot
> >

> Hi Emmanuel,
>
> Thank you for your work on this.

 Hello Ben,

> I have just tried building and installing this on FreeBSD 11-current
> r302020, and unfortunately it failed.

 Sorry to hear that, we'll try to find the problem.

> To be clear, I took the following steps to perform my testing:
>
>    - git clone -b iwm --single-branch https://github.com/evadot/freebsd.git
>    - cd freebsd/sys/modules/iwm
>    - make
>    - sudo cp if_iwm.ko /boot/kernel/
>    - cd ../iwmfw
>    - make
>    - find . -name "*.ko*" -exec sudo cp {} /boot/kernel/ \;
>    - reboot

 That seems right.

> Upon reboot I got a kernel panic after it loaded the module. I took photos
> of my screen at the debug console, which you can find at the link below. If
> there is a way to get a better output for debugging, please let me know.
> http://imgur.com/a/TJ7i5

 It seems that it kernel panic when creating the wlan0 interface.
 I guess that the modules are loaded by the loader ? (i.e. in /boot/loader.conf)

 Could you test not loading them by the loader but by manually after login ?

 kldload iwmXXXXfw.ko && kldload if_iwm

 Then restart the netif service (or create the wlan0 directly).

> I am not sure what you meant when you said I need the latest firmware
> (16.XXX) for the driver to work.

 I wasn't very clear on this, the firmware is in the kernel modules and they
have been updated so you won't need to worry about this.

--
Emmanuel Vadot <m...@bidouilliste.com>