On Sun, 4 Mar 2007 Per I. Mathisen wrote:

> On Sat, 3 Mar 2007, Daniel Markstedt wrote:
> > Wouldn't the obvious solution be to simply use the /take command with
> > nation names, instead of player names? Nation names differ depending
> > on the server's locale, so the command must be matched with the
> > 'gettexted' name.
>
> Isn't it possible to use /take before nations are assigned?

It is possible. Playing with non-ASCII character is a bad idea.
I'm for having ASCII-only identifier. There are several variants when
something (gettext or freeciv code) doesn't work properly.
Server console on Windows with CP1251 could be an example - it does
not recode text from KOI8-R po. And there are problems with
non-utf8 locale and utf8 name - recoding of full string is
broken in this case.

I will even prefer to work with numeric id of player if there
is no other way.

PS. Translated names should be back-translated before sending to
server (if we work with client). So this seems like a bad idea too.

--
Thanks, evyscr