I did not use --with-included-gettext.  I tried with gettext 0.14.5 and
gettext 0.16.  However, configure decided that I ought to use the
included gettext instead.  It looks like the gettext from the "GTK+ for
Windows" site doesnt define '_nl_msg_cat_cntr', which is what configure
uses to determine if the gettext is the GNU version or not.  Here's a
bit from the configure.log.

configure:7683: checking for GNU gettext in libc
configure:7707: gcc -o conftest.exe -g -O2   conftest.c  -liconv >&5
C:/DOCUME~1/cnash/LOCALS~1/Temp/ccCybaaa.o: In function
`main':c:/chris/freeciv/configure:7752: undefined reference to
`_imp__libintl_bindtextdomain'
:c:/chris/freeciv/configure:7753: undefined reference to
`_imp__libintl_gettext'
:c:/chris/freeciv/configure:7753: undefined reference to
`_imp__libintl_ngettext'
:c:/chris/freeciv/configure:7753: undefined reference to
`_nl_msg_cat_cntr'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
configure:7710: $? = 1
configure: failed program was:
configure:7727: result: no
configure:7731: checking for GNU gettext in libintl
configure:7757: gcc -o conftest.exe -g -O2   conftest.c  -liconv -lintl
-liconv >&5
C:/DOCUME~1/cnash/LOCALS~1/Temp/cceObaaa.o: In function
`main':c:/chris/freeciv/configure:7803: undefined reference to
`_nl_msg_cat_cntr'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
configure:7760: $? = 1
configure: failed program was:
configure:7778: result: no

Perhaps I should try again with a different gettext.