On Sat, 15 Sep 2007, Daniel Markstedt wrote:

On 9/11/07, Andreas Røsdal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I think that I should write some documentation about how to setup and run
the web client, because currently that takes a lot of effort. Each
web-browser session gets its own civclient process. The civclient
process is launched from the Java application server (Resin), and at the
moment the civclient can only be run from the command line for debugging
purposes if it is invoked with correct parameters. So you really have to
setup the application server correctly first, before you can get the whole
thing running.

The data directory was left out because I don't have any more storage
space on the server. I would be really great if a new branch could be
created in SVN on gna.org for this "experiment". Otherwise it would be
difficult to share the source code.

Anyway, it's great that you gave it a try, event though there is still
quite a long way to go.

  - Andreas

I suggest you apply for membership of the project at gna.org so you
can add and maintain the branch yourself! (If everyone agrees,
naturally.)

BTW, have you decided on a widget toolkit to use, or are you writing
the gui from scratch?

The GUI widget toolkit is implemented in HTML at the moment. That means that the graphics are rendered with the HTML canvas element, while all the GUI elements are limited to what one can do with HTML.

I'm not sure if there are any widget toolkits which could be used in a browser. It is possible to create a Java applet or a Flash plugin to create a user interface, but I've not looked into that (yet).

BTW2, I'd like to write a 'news story' for the website. Something in
particular that you'd like mentioned there?

Perhaps that it would be great if more testers and developers gave the web client a try.

Even better, if someone would be kind enough to provide server hosting for the web client. Such a server needs a lot of bandwidth and CPU/memory.

 - Andreas