Right now the city naming depends on the city placement, e.g. are there
rivers or mountains or cost fields nearby.
I have a new idea. How about attaching to each possible city name two
numbers, one for relative east-west and one for relative north-south
location of the real city in the real world. Taking this into account
when creating new cities, the relative positioning on the map will
reflect a little bit the real city location.
Even if this option will abandon the original geographic surrounding as
it is in the current game, I think a relative correct placement of
cities might be a nice feature too.