On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 8:25 PM, Madeline Book <madeline.b...@gmail.com> wrote:

> So my best guess is that somehow the contents of the save file
> got munged into the present state (invalid utf8) outside of
> freeciv. Are you sure you did not open and re-save it in an
> editor or something like that?

I did not.  Any munging was accomplished by Freeciv.  Could be as
simple as a string pointer error somewhere, given that the bizarre
character is at the end of the string.

I don't know if it's related, but Freeciv GTK consistently fails on
Vista after the game has been going a long time.  The GUI windows
change colors and become illegible like they're being bitblitted
incorrectly, then civclient freezes.  For this reason I always play
with "set saveturns 1".  After such a failure, I can always load the
most recent autosaved game.  I haven't submitted the bug because I
don't have a deterministic reproducer for it.  I just know that it
will happen after several hours of play.  I guess my point is, Freeciv
can munge things.