> [bvanev...@gmail.com - Wed Dec 17 23:43:51 2008]:
>
> On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 5:42 PM, Madeline Book
> <madeline.b...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > This could be proven if you turn off the "prompt for city
> > name" option and build a city with the Perpinya settler.
> > If the name is not garbled and the program does not
> > crash then we would know it is a problem with the string
> > being put into the entry, and hence a bug in the particular
> > gtk libraries used by the freeciv exe on windows.
>
> I turned off "prompt for city name."  When building the settler, the
> game now simply crashes.  So, the string is being corrupted before it
> is delivered to the dialog box.
>
> > You could also try inputting other valid utf-8 (e.g. my
> > sig) into the name suggestion box, the city rename popup,
> > or just the chat input line to see what it does. On linux
> > these all work fine, so they should too on windows.
> >

> > 私のためにいい家を見つけてください。
>
> Your .sig is truncated for length, but it inputs just fine.

This is very good, both results imply that gtk is not to
blame and that the corruption may be occurring when the
city name is being transferred from the client to the
server.

When you start a client from a dos window, it should print
a line like:

Encodings: Data=UTF-8, Local=UTF-8, Internal=UTF-8

Does yours match the one above, or is it different? Also,
are you using any kind of special character set on your
system (e.g. iso_8859-1 or something similar)?