When I first made this, I used some spreadsheets in order to choose
parameters, and hoped for parameters that will prevent cities of
effectively growing bigger than 8 without improvement.
I no longer have those spreadsheets, but my original ruleset is found here:
http://forum.freeciv.org/viewtopic.php?t=5721
The patch is, of course, irrelevant. Also, I don't know how much the
code had changed since my original contribution, so it might be
relevant any more.