* For 2.3.x, bug #17264, reduced the effect of veterancy in diplomatic
"combat" to at most 20%, to avoid elite diplomats being practically
invincible. Effect varies linearly with index of veteran level (power factors
not taken into effect).
* For 2.4.x (not yet released), the calculation was reworked in patch #2348;
now it's influenced by the power factor of the first and last veteran levels.

I'm not very keen on the latter result -- it seems pretty arbitrary.

However, 2.4.x also brings a fully generalised veteran system, as of patch
#2346. Couldn't we just give diplomats and spies their own veteran levels, and
let ruleset authors decide these details?
* In fact, the veteran system even on S2_3 allows limited per-unit
customisation, which would be sufficient for this purpose. I don't propose to
backport this to S2_3 though.

I propose using power_fact for diplomatic contests as well. In principle this
couples the stats for normal and diplomatic combat; in practice, these units
are defenseless (defense=0) in our supplied rulesets, so it makes no
difference. (And this was already the case on S2_4.)

Hypothetical already-ported rulesets for S2_4 would change behaviour as a
result of this change. I'd update the ruleset update instructions
<http://freeciv.wikia.com/wiki/How_to_update_a_ruleset_from_2.3_to_2.4> to
flag this as a late change.

Any objections?