                 Release:
         Discussion Lock: Any
        Operating System: None
         Planned Release:

The file common/packets.def don't contain all the knowledge needed to
implement Freeciv's protocol. In addition to it various constants, data
structures etc are also required. I notices that some of those are labeled
with a comment warning developers the items are being used in the protocol.
How interesting would it be to label the rest? I have already created a buggy,
unfinished, over engineered and messy program that extract the extra
information from the C-source code (when it doesn't extract it wrong). Based
on its output I have created a draft for a patch that adds comments where I
couldn't find any.
 * Items in packets.h, connection.h are not labeled (as developers probably
expect that those files are protocol relevant)
 * Coding style not looked at as I don't know if anyone is interested in this
at all
 * Some recursive dependencies are ignored
 * May contain errors caused by bugs in my code
 * May contain errors caused by brain powering down during repetitive tasks
   * Wrong item may be labeled
   * An item with a similar name may have been labeled
   * I may have ignored already existing warning comments

If adding these comments is interesting I can have an extra look at my patch
and fix it for code style, double check items and create smaller patches for
specific areas if required. If some one want to do something else based on the
information my program extracts, like creating a new format including all
needed information or just have a staring point for better understanding the
Freeciv code base, let me know . While the generated Java code probably is
buggy it will give a hint about what items are needed.