 > Could you update this patch against current trunk and avoid usage of
C++-style comments "//"?
Yes. No C++-style comments. As the editing of text currently is done manually
I want to be sure I don't do it wrong: Should I merge the information into
existing comments where those exist (looks better) or add it separately (more
grep friendly)? (If grep friendliness is important a standard text may do the
job well enough) Is the current text in the comment ("Used in the network
protcol.") OK?

Please note that universal still is made by hand so universals_u's
dependencies aren't included. (The number of bytes read doesn't depend on
them)