I think it's safe either way: I just tend to avoid having unused arguments or
functions if possible, to ease later reading of the code (but given the volume
of testing to which this was subjected, there is a strong argument for leaving
it intact).

Looking at the most recent revisions of the patch, I wonder if
unit_list_iterate_safe(remaining, pcargo){} should be guarded with a check to
ensure unit_list_size(remaining) > 0 (this would apply to either S2_4 or trunk
patches).